Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) advised patients seeking non-emergency medical care to consider other health facilities as the national referral hospital grapples with a surge in patient numbers and congestion linked to the ongoing health workers’ industrial action.
In a press statement on Thursday, August 20, 2026, KNH said the disruption of health services in various counties had pushed more patients to the hospital, resulting in longer waiting times and delays, particularly for non-emergency services.
“As a national referral hospital, KNH is receiving more patients who would ordinarily access services at county and other health facilities,” said KNH Chief Executive Officer Dr Richard Lesiyampe.
The hospital urged patients whose conditions do not require urgent attention to seek treatment at hospitals closer to them, where appropriate.
“Clients seeking non-emergency care are encouraged to consider other hospitals closer to them, where appropriate, to ease pressure on KNH and facilitate timely access to care,” Lesiyampe said.
KNH, however, clarified that it remains open and continues to provide emergency and critical care services.
This comes as health services remain disrupted in several counties amid an ongoing strike by nurses and other health workers.
The strike has been driven by grievances including the implementation of Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs), delayed promotions, salary arrears and the employment of Universal Health Coverage workers.
The Kenya National Union of Nurses has previously rejected calls by the Council of Governors to call off the strike, insisting that workers will only return following agreements addressing
their concerns.
The disruption has also featured prominently at the Kenya Health Summit, where health workers raised their concerns directly with President William Ruto.
On Wednesday, Ruto directed national and county government officials to find a solution to the impasse affecting health workers, giving them one week to address outstanding issues. He also said delays in paying health workers’ salaries were unacceptable and directed that the Salaries and Remuneration Commission be involved in discussions on unimplemented CBAs.
READ ALSO;
Gachagua Pledges Sh1.8m to Clear Late Johana Ng’eno’s Brother’s Hospital Bill