A 32-year-old man was electrocuted in an incident in Lungalunga area, Nairobi.
Police say Nelson Aluda was electrocuted by a naked live wire on the rooftop of a house in the area on Wednesday.
Police who arrived at the scene said the illegally connected naked electric wire had power at the time of the incident.
He was tying a rope on the wire to be used as clothe hanging line. Such incidents are common in informal settlements.
Police and Kenya power officials say they receive at least five incidents a month out of electrocution.
Cases of electrocution also happen in offices and private homes.
Kenya Power officials say there has been an increase in cases of electrocution in tandem with increased connectivity across the country.
The officials said poor wiring in customer premises contributed to 24 per cent, illegal connections 16 per cent, structures and buildings near power lines 12 per cent and deliberate acts contributing 11 per cent.
The ten most affected counties are Nakuru, Nairobi Makueni, Kericho, Kisii, Kisumu, Uasin Gishu , Nyamira, Migori and Kiambu.
Nakuru is currently leading with 11 per cent across the country, followed by Kiambu at 7 per cent.
And to address the worrying trend in public electrocution, the agency is carrying out a public sensitization campaign to enhance the awareness.
According to data, in 2018/19 there were 149 who were electrocuted, and 100 in 2020.
The power officials cite poor wiring at customer premises as the major concern adding that people use quacks during the construction.
The officials further stated that illegal connections and illegal extensions contribute to 16.28 per cent of electrocution cases and advised the locals to make applications through Kenya Power offices.