Kenya says no Kenya had died after the magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey and Syria urging its citizens to join the rest of the world in sharing material support.
“We are also in touch with our Mission in Ankara for updates. So far no Kenyan has been affected by the earthquake. We have shared an emergency number for any Kenyan, who may be in distress following the earthquake,” Cabinet Secretary Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs Alfred Mutua said in a statement.
The earthquake occurred on February 6, 2023, in South Eastern Turkey and Northern Syria.
The death toll from Monday’s devastating earthquakes has soared to 7,900 and is expected to rise.
Desperate rescue efforts continue in the rubble of southern Turkey and northern Syria, hampered by aftershocks and frigid conditions.
“We share the pain and devastating loss that is coming in the backdrop of an immediate challenging period of Covid-19 and the resultant global economic slowdown,” Mutua said.
He called upon Kenyans who are able to join hands in extending material support that would alleviate human suffering such as foodstuffs, clothing, and financial, and medical staff among others.
“We will soon be communicating collection points.”
He added that the government will send search and rescue specialist teams to assist in the ongoing operations.
Other countries around the world, including the U.S., are sending search and rescue teams to the region.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan declared a state of emergency in the affected areas Tuesday.
The quakes have brought new devastation to an area of Syria already blighted by years of civil war.