Police are investigating an incident in which four-year-old twins died in a fire incident in the Kasarani area, Nairobi.
The mother of the boy and girl had left them in the house on Thursday and went out shopping when she was informed the house was on fire.
The woman aged 26 had apparently left the children with a burning candle before leaving the house.
The children fell asleep leaving the candle which was next to their bed burning.
Police said they suspect the candle fell on the bed and caused the fire before it spread out fast.
The fire gutted the household valuables also killing the two minors.
Residents said they saw smoke pillow from the house long after it had consumed most of the valuables therein at about 11 pm on Thursday, December 15.
They raised an alarm and managed to put off the fire but the two children were already dead.
Police visited the scene and helped to move the bodies to the mortuary.
A postmortem will be done on the bodies as part of the probe into the deaths.
Police want to establish how they died