The Royal Media Services (RMS) said Tuesday it is providing all the necessary support to the affected staff and the suspected food poisoning incident is currently under investigation.
Group Managing Director Wachira Waruru said on December 27 they are saddened to confirm a serious case of food poisoning that affected a significant number of staff working over the Christmas shift.
“In keeping with holiday period working arrangements, the RMS engaged a private food catering company to provide meals for staff working during the Christmas shift,” he sworn
He added on Boxing Day December 26, 2022, some of the staff complained of severe stomach pains after consuming meals served within the premises of the company.
“We are deeply shocked and saddened to inform the public that one staff member has unfortunately succumbed to the illness attributed to the suspected food poisoning.” “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our deceased staff member during this difficult time,” said Waruru.
He added several staffers have also been hospitalized for the suspected poisoning.
RMS runs Citizen TV, Radio, Hot96 and almost ten other vernacular stations.
The employee who complained of stomach pains on Monday, December 26, was found dead Tuesday, December 27.
The employees reportedly started developing abdominal pains on Monday and Tuesday, shortly after serving a buffet prepared by a hired catering firm.
RMS reportedly contracted a reputable city-based catering firm to deliver food for the staff working during the Christmas holiday season.
Some of those affected are staff working for vernacular radio and TV stations.
Workers in most companies worked in shifts and had catering firms supply food for the workers during the Christmas holidays.